Host, Visitor Experience (Part-Time)
Offre d'emploi #6357
- Employer: Tourism Calgary
- Location: Calgary
- Date d'affichage: févr. 13, 2020
- Date de clôture: févr. 24, 2020
Summer-term: May 11 to Aug 30;
Wage: $18/hr at approx. 22.5 hrs/week
Mandatory attendance during training period: May 11 to May 22, 2020 @ full-time hours
About Tourism Calgary
Tourism Calgary is the official destination marketing and development organization for Calgary's
tourism industry. For more than 50 years, the organization’s primary purpose has been to
promote Calgary and area as the destination of choice for leisure travelers. With a vision of
making Calgary the ultimate host city, Tourism Calgary markets the city locally, nationally and
internationally and advocates for its ongoing development as a destination. The organization
hosts and attracts visitors and events and activates the city by fostering the growth of shareable,
memorable experiences. Calgary’s tourism industry contributes approximately $1.6 billion in
visitor spending by over 7 million visitors annually. For more information about Tourism Calgary,
please visit www.visitcalgary.com.
The role of the Host, Visitor Experience is to increase tourism revenue by ensuring visitors and
locals have a remarkable experience in Calgary and area, encouraging them to do more, stay
longer and return often. Reporting to the Supervisor, Visitor Experience, you will be proactively
engaging people in high-traffic areas, including outside attractions, parks and events. The goal is
to enhance the visitors experience by sharing local insights, promoting Calgary as a welcoming
and experience-rich destination, and offering recommendations tailored to the guests’ interests.
Candidates for this position have a friendly and outgoing demeaner with exceptional
communication and customer service skills. They are self-motivated individuals who have a passion
for tourism and sharing what they love about Calgary. The ideal candidate speaks multiple
languages, enjoys working outdoors and is comfortable standing for prolonged periods of time.
• Be proactive in engaging guests in a professional and friendly manner; go above and
beyond to provide “exceptional” customer service.
• Provide accurate and effective information on Calgary and area experiences to visitors and
locals; facilitate tour and experience bookings and assist with wayfinding directions.
• Collect and record data on all visitors and locals engaged in salesforce app.
• Collaborate with team to achieve referral, engagement, booking and e-mail targets; work
collectively to find the best locations to “pop-up” and creative ways to engage travellers.
• Transport and facilitate the set-up/tear-down of “pop-up” booth equipment, brochures and
promotional tools to/from various locations daily by bike, or rental vehicle when required.
• Provide daily updates on Chatter app; summarize themes or trends in weekly reports.
• Research information of interest to visitors and locals, including new experiences,
restaurants, events, transit disruptions, etc.
• Ensure brochure distribution locations are organized, stocked and up to date.
• Respond to inquiries over e-mail, social media and by phone when required.
• Other duties as required to support in-destination and visitor/local experience initiatives.
• Preference will be given to candidates with a tourism, hospitality or related background
• Knowledge of second language in French, Spanish, German or Mandarin preferred
• Possess a positive attitude, outgoing demeanor, and a strong willingness to help others
• Strong knowledge of Calgary and area experiences, attractions and events are required
• Exceptional customer service, people and communication skills
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, show initiative and meet deadlines
• Ability to problem solve on-the-spot and adapt to different customers or situations
• Ability to work as an effective team member and be goal oriented
• Proficient in Google Docs; Comfortable navigating IOS devices, travel apps/websites
• Familiarity of social media platforms (Facebook and Instagram) considered an asset
• Valid First Aid/CPR certification considered an asset
• Valid drivers’ license considered an asset
• Shifts on weekends, holidays and occasional evenings and overtime required; Limited flexibility in schedule during peak visitation (Canada Day, Stampede Week, August long).
• Must be comfortable riding a bike frequently, standing for prolonged periods of time, setting up pop-up booths with ability to lift of up to 25kg / 55lbs.
• Must be comfortable working primarily outdoors at high-traffic public locations, including major attractions, landmarks, events, parks and pathways and engaging with various personalities.
• Includes occasional trips to surrounding regional destinations for training or special events.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume by February 24, 2020 or until suitable candidate is found. Please provide 3 references. Please note only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Roxanne Wideen - Director, HR Tourism Calgary
Tourism Calgary is recruiting for the following positions and timeframes in Visitor Experience. When submitting your application, include which position and timeframe you are applying for.
• Host, Visitor Experience (Part-time; May 11 – September 30)
• Host, Visitor Experience (Full-time; May 11 – August 30)
• Bilingual Host, Visitor Experience (Full-time; May 11 – August 30)
• Supervisor, Visitor Experience (Full-time; May 4 – September 30)