Supervisor, Visitor Experience
Offre d'emploi #6355
- Employer: Tourism Calgary
- Location: Calgary
- Date d'affichage: févr. 13, 2020
- Date de clôture: févr. 24, 2020
JOB DESCRIPTION – Supervisor, Visitor Experience
Term position: April 27 – Sept 30;
Wage: $20/hr at approx. 37.5 hrs/week;
Weekend work required.
Mandatory attendance during team training period: May 11 to May 22.
About Tourism Calgary
Tourism Calgary is the official destination marketing and development organization for Calgary's
tourism industry. For more than 50 years, the organization’s primary purpose has been to
promote Calgary and area as the destination of choice for leisure travelers. With a vision of
making Calgary the ultimate host city, Tourism Calgary markets the city locally, nationally and
internationally and advocates for its ongoing development as a destination. The organization
hosts and attracts visitors and events and activates the city by fostering the growth of shareable,
memorable experiences. Calgary’s tourism industry contributes approximately $1.6 billion in
visitor spending by over 7 million visitors annually. For more information about Tourism Calgary,
please visit www.visitcalgary.com.
Reporting to the In-Destination Specialist, the Supervisor Visitor Experience is responsible for
providing the Visitor Experience team (6 staff plus volunteers) with excellence in the following areas:
leadership, reliability and supervision of day-to-day operations. The goal is to lead an effective team to enhance the visitor and local experience in Calgary and increase tourism revenue by encouraging
visitors to do more, stay longer and return often. The Visitor Experience Hosts, including the
supervisor, will be proactively engaging people in high-traffic public areas, including major attractions,
parks, festivals and events, providing tailored information on things to see and do in Calgary and area.
Candidates for this position have 2-3 years’ experience in a leadership role with a strong customer
service background and have exceptional communication and interpersonal skills. They have an
advanced knowledge of Calgary and area tourism attractions and experiences and can thrive in a fastpaced environment. The ideal candidate is a creative problem solver, can adapt to different situations and is results-oriented.
• Liaise with the Specialist, In-Destination to ensure smooth, safe and efficient operations of the
Visitor Experience program.
• Supervise Visitor Experience Hosts, providing ongoing guidance, coaching and leadership;
ensure visitors and locals are assisted in a prompt, friendly and professional manner, are
provided accurate and tailored information and receive exceptional customer service.
• Perform regular Host duties, including proactively engaging visitors and locals on things to see
and do in Calgary and area, leading by example.
• Oversee day-to-day operations with support of In-Destination Specialist; troubleshoot daily
challenges, delegate tasks effectively, involve team to find creative ways to engage visitors and
locals in-market and find best locations to “pop-up”.
• Collaborate with team to achieve goals and objectives, including referral, engagement, booking
and e-mail targets; ensure all visitor stats are recorded timely and accurately.
• Act responsibly and efficiently in case of emergencies and or situations that require a quick and
thoughtful decision to be made on-site; follow organizational policies.
• Perform administrative duties such as scheduling changes, event preparation, tracking of safety
procedures, managing brochure inventory, compiling weekly reports and ensuring proper staff
maintenance and cleanliness of tools, equipment and workspaces.
• Lead the delivery of event information booths; ensure proper equipment, promotional items and tourism literature is on-site and staff are effectively engaging with visitors and locals; liaise with the onsite event coordinator to ensure smooth operations.
• Assist the In-Destination Specialist with on-going training to keep staff motivated, engaged and up to date on industry news; identify training opportunities.
• 2-3 years’ supervisory or leadership experience with a strong background in customer service.
• Strong knowledge of Calgary and area experiences, attractions and events.
• Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills; ability to adapt to different situations.
• Energetic, self-motivated and results oriented; ability to provide direction to others.
• Excellent organizational, time-management and communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; possess a positive attitude, outgoing demeanor and a strong willingness to help others.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook); Comfortable navigating travel apps/websites, social media platforms, IOS devices.
• Possess a valid First Aid/CPR Certification.
• Position requires a class 5 driver’s license or equivalent; and able to meet requirements for vehicle rental agreements.
• Preference will be given to candidates with some post-secondary education in tourism, hospitality and/or a related field.
• Second language and experience in a tourism or hospitality role considered assets.
• Shifts on weekends, holidays, occasional evenings and overtime required; Limited flexibility in schedule during peak visitation (Canada Day, Stampede Week, August long) and key events.
• Must be comfortable riding a bike frequently, standing for prolonged periods of time, setting up pop-up booths with ability to lift of up to 25kg / 55lbs.
• Must be comfortable working primarily outdoors at high-traffic public locations, including major attractions, landmarks, events, parks and pathways and engaging with various personalities.
• Includes occasional driving a rental vehicle to key sites and events in Calgary or surrounding regional destinations as needed for training purposes or events.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume by February 24, 2020 or until suitable candidate is found. Please provide 3 references. Please note only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Roxanne Wideen; Director, HR; Tourism Calgary
Tourism Calgary is recruiting for the following positions and timeframes in Visitor Experience. When submitting your application, include which position and timeframe you are applying for.
• Host, Visitor Experience (Part-time; May 11 – September 30)
• Host, Visitor Experience (Full-time; May 11 – August 30)
• Bilingual Host, Visitor Experience (Full-time; May 11 – August 30)
• Supervisor, Visitor Experience (Full-time; May 4 – September 30)